Episode #199 of the SMRpodcast has been recorded, posted online, and is ready for download. Â We've got a full crew this week as Rod has returned from the RSA conference.
We start this week off if just a bit of home automation talk. Â Although Robb tuned Chris and Rod out for much of it, he did install a couple of Nest thermostats since the last show.
One of the big news items of the week was Gartner's Tablet report which shows Android in the lead, significantly so, over iOS for the first time. Â Apple still makes most on tablets with the iPad, however, the question is will developers start to mover for Android because of the sheer volume of users.
Microsoft's Siri/Google Now style virtual assistant “Cortana” is making the rounds. Â It looks like Cortana will be able to do more than simply answer questions, but, also make suggestions base on information it gleans from sources like Outlook.
BBM adds ads, Â Facebook kills desktop versions of Facebook Messenger, and there a heck of a lot of people that seem to have become WhatsApp Messenger users over the last week or so. Â We've got all this, our picks, and more in episode #199 of the SMRpodcast.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (44.0MB) | Embed
- Recorded: March 04th, 2014
- Published: March 05th, 2014
- Duration: 01hr 00min 00sec
SUBSCRIBE FOR AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS
Big stories we covered this week
- Roku streaming stick coming for $49 is it worth it
- Screen shots of the Microsoft Personal assistant have surfaced showing the UI
- Android Tablets are now number one we discuss what it means to other platforms
Other stories we covered this week
- Blackberry suffers an email outage and is considering adding ads to BBM
- Robb gives us an update on his Nest install
- Chris gave Rod an Xbox
Picks of the Week